Taralga Historical Society

Museum and Grounds

The museum is open MOST Saturdays from 10am until 2.00pm (depending upon volunteers) and long week ends in June and October. We welcome inquiries from groups, and coach companies on other occasions.

Contact Chris Ainsworth on 0418919357.

Things to See

Cordingley Cottage

This cottage was built as our Bicentennial project and was opened on the 2nd April 1988. The cottage was reconstructed from the original home on the Big Hill Property formally owned by Mr. Albert Bunter, then Miss Birdie Ayre and her sister Mrs. Ivy Cordingley.

Members of the Society dismantled the building and rebuilt it in the grounds of the Historical Society. It has been furnished in the colonial period as lived in by early Australian families by items donated to the Society.

The Sandstone Memorial

This sandstone memorial was constructed in 1995 to commemorate the many young people of the district who died in tragic circumstances since the formation of the Historical Society. The dedication Service was conducted by ministers from the three Churches in Taralga. Anglican, Presbyterian and Catholic.

Mile Pegs

In 1972 the measurements of distance was changed from imperial to metric.units. These mile pegs are examples of markers placed along roads. The ones here marked the miles leading the six roads from Taralga to (1) Goulburn, (2) Crookwell, (3) Golspie,
(4) Oberon, (5) Wombeyan Caves and (6) Bannaby.

Nissen Hut

The Nissen Hut was donated to the Society by Goulburn Workers Club. It was pulled down and re-erected in the Museum grounds, and was opened on 11 November 2011 to display memorabilia from local men and women who served their country in all our conflicts.

Bullock Wagon

The Bullock Wagon that is now shedded in the grounds of the Museum was built in 1901 for Matthew Hillas of "Hillsmount" Bannaby to transport wool and other produce to and from Sydney. It was restored in 2003 in memory of Bannaby pioneers courtesy of Mr Ernie Stephenson.

Slab Dairy

The slab dairy has been built to commemorate the flourishing dairy industry in the era from the turn of the century until the 1950's, at one time there were 168 dairy farms in the Taralga District. The last one to close was the one belonging to the Blay family at Myrtleville in 1996. This building contains items related to the dairy industry.

Heritage Shed

See the recently established Shearing shed and Blacksmiths shop with many items from bye - gone days associated with the wool and shearing industry. Also included in a portion of the shed are many tools and other items used in Blacksmiths shops in early days.

Rose Garden

This Rose Garden was commenced in 1998, and contains sixty rose bushes donated by local families, organizations and members, either given in memory of people who lived here or as a donation from people still living and interested in beatifying the grounds.

The roses bound the "Alders Circle," this and the bird bath in the centre is in memory of the pioneering Alders Family. The archway at the entrance of the rose garden was erected by the Marmont family.

Lych gate

The Lych gate at the entrance to the museum grounds is in memory of Edwin and Gertrude Johns family who came to Myrtleville in the early 1900's. Much of the machinery in the grounds of the museum was left to the society by their son, the late Aubrey Johns, including a very rare windmill.